Thursday, January 1, 2009

Forever ~2009

Welcome to 2009!

What a wonderful and festive year this is going to be...Yes, I have decided, it is going to be amazing and bright. Attitude is everything, right? Well, at least it is a huge part of it! As each new year starts, there are so many things that I feel like I need to remember to be thankful for; my family, my health, my spirit, my job and my ability to find creative outlets that I enjoy. All of these special things bring such joy and peace (well, sometimes not peace, but enthusiasm)into my life, that it is important to take a moment and reflect upon what really is important.

One goal I have for the new year is to reflect on where my family has come from, what makes our history. With the passing of my grandma and my husband's grandma, we have been blessed with some treasured family photos. I have been working on preserving special moments in our families histories, to share with the future. The piece I want to share with you today is just that, a snippet in time of the Root family. Grandma and Grandpa Root have been such an important part of my husband's life and in turn, mine. When I opened up my Jan. Kit, I immediately knew the photo I wanted to feature.....Lynn's kit selections were perfect for the thought I wanted to to portray about their family connections and the love they shared with each other.

Artistically, I knew this page needed to be special and that this kit was going to do it for me! The beautiful floral papers that portrayed a woven vintage quilted image, the beaded beadazzles, the chipboard hearts and beautiful gems...it was just perfect! I also used the velvet Butterflies from the Dec. kit, just to add another element of flair.

Forever:


Technique Close up:

The technique I used with the velvet butterflies is part of what I called that "creative outlet," that I am so fortunate to have found. I like pretty things and playing with them....it just makes me feel better! This is a stamping technique, using 1 of the stamps from the Therapy kit, Silver Ink and some pretty Blue Glitter!

Glitter Stamping technique:
Products Needed - Stamps, Ink, fabric to be stamped, and glitter.
I used Martha Stewart's Silver ink and Blue Topaz Glitter, along with the Dec' kit Butterflies. The stamp used is the large floral vine from the therapy kit.


1) Stamp Acrylic image with Silver glue, plenty of ink is needed, for the image to transfer and remain wet.

2) Stamp image onto velvet.


3) Quickly, while ink is still damp, dip the stamped piece into a glitter pile. Press lightly, so glitter adheres to wet ink.


4) Lift embellishment from tray, allowing the wet image to dry.


5)Shake excess glitter back into tray or onto another sheet of paper.


6)Let dry completely before adhering to page.

There you have it....a Bling Bling embellishment that you created yourself!!! I also used this technique on the lollipop flower on the left top corner of my layout. There were several other techniques I used on this layout, but i will leave you with that one for now.....more to come! Try it out, experiment with those stamps in new ways. It is a new year, try the beadazzles, try Glitter, rip those edges.....make it your own. It is all about remembering why things are important to you and your family and letting you enjoy the process along the way. Now, my family actually wants to look at those old photos that had been stored under the bed in a ratty old shoebox. Yours will too. Remember the moment, Forever.

From one Scrapaholic to another,
Have a great one!
Beth

6 comments:

I AM A Scrapaholic said...

Oh Beth that butterfly is beautiful! Love the technque!

And your LO is amazing!!!!

~Lynn

Unknown said...

Thank you for the technique, what a great way to jazz up the felt shapes, love it and your layout is fantastic too.

scrappermimi said...

WOW! What a gorgeous LO and such a great tutorial too!

Elizabeth said...

Wowsers girlie! You are not only crafty, but rockin' this technique and layout!!!

I love it!

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

Great technique!!!

Holly said...

Amazing technique Beth! I LOVE THIS!! You're layout is awesome also!